This delicious recipe was sent over by Amy, an Australian friend, when we collected a lot (too much maybe) Basil from our garden. We’re addicted to this tomato quiche now!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onion shallots, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, diced
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 125ml milk
- 1 pinch salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 large pastry shell
- 125g mozzarella cheese, grated, divided
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Bake pastry shell in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes, depending on its strength.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Saute onion until soft then remove from pan.
- Sprinkle tomato slices with flour and basil then saute 1 minute on each side.
- In a small bowl whisk together eggs, parmesan and milk. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread 2/3 of the grated cheese in the bottom of pastry shell. Layer onions over cheese and top with tomatoes. Cover with egg mixture then sprinkle top with remaining cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 180 degrees C and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until filling is puffed and golden brown.